Our self-advocacy training course aims to grow people's awareness and understanding of self-advocacy: what self-advocacy is, how you can self-advocate for yourself and how you can support others to self-advocates for themselves.
"the ability to speak-up for yourself and the things that are important to you. Self-advocacy means you know your rights and responsibilities, you speak-up for your rights, and you are able to make choices and decisions that affect your life."
Our training is co-produced and co-delivered by our trainers, who are people with learning disabilities and their supporters.
Our trainers have used their personal experiences of self-advocacy to create this course. They will share their experiences of self-advocacy during this training course.
By the end of this course you will...
1. Be aware and understand what self-advocacy is, how you can self-advocate for yourself and how you can support others to self-advocate for themselves.
2. Be able to and/or support others to confidently speak up when making choices and decisions in life.
This course is for:
1. People with learning disabilities who use advocacy service already
2. People with learning disabilities who don’t use advocacy services
3. Professionals who want to support people with learning disabilities to self-advocate for themselves
This course focuses on these core topics:
1. What self-advocacy is
2. Why self-advocacy is important
3. Knowing yourself
4. Knowing what you need (such as rights)
5. Knowing how to get it (such as communication)
6. How to self-advocate for yourself and/or others
You may want to focus on other elements of self-advocacy, in which case, our bespoke training courses may be of interest to you.
The cost of our training courses is dependent on the length of the training and the number of participants receiving the training.
Here's what people have to say about this course:
“I heard really positive feedback from the team, who felt the introductory session went very well and engaged our co-farmers very successfully. Fantastic to hear!” from a self-advocacy training participant
If you are interested in this training course or want more information, please contact Lisa at [email protected] or call 01865 204214.