I do a lot of things at My Life My Choice. I am a travel buddy and a Power Up trainer.
Over the last few months, I have been working with the Young Person’s group about Littlemore Hospital.
We looked what it was like to live there.
I have found it interesting.
We learned that bread was something the patients ate a lot. They ate this because it was filling. I think eating bread made them feel happy because food can be a comfort for when you are going through tough times.
I feel like eating was an important part of their day and so I have reimagined what they ate and created two bread-based recipes.
This is my 'bread and cheese' pudding recipe.
For the 'bread,' you will need:
1. 175g of butter (and a little extra for greasing)
2. 175g of caster sugar
3. 3 large eggs
4. A few drops of vanilla extract
5. 200g of self-raising flour
6. 50g of ground almond
To make the 'bread,' follow these instructions:
1. Heat oven to 170 degrees/Gas Mark 3.
2. Butter and line the base of a tin with baking paper.
3. Beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
4. Next, beat in the eggs one at a time.
5. Add the vanilla extract.
6. Now beat in the flour and almonds until you have a thick mixture.
7. Pour the mixture into the baking tin and smooth over the top.
8. Bake for 55 minutes - 1 hour until a butter knife in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
9. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes.
10. Remove the cake from the tin, peeling away the baking paper and leave on a wire rack to cool before slicing.
For the 'cheese,' you will need:
1. 175g of butter
2. 175g of caster sugar
3. 4 eggs
4. 200g of plain flour
5. 1 Lemon (Zested and juiced)
You will also need the following to make the yellow icing:
1. 192g of butter
2. 576g of icing sugar
3. A teaspoon of salt
4. 1-2 tablespoons of milk
5. 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
6. 5 drops of yellow food colouring
To make the 'cheese,' follow these instructions:
1. Heat oven to 180 degrees/160 degrees fan oven/Gas Mark 5.
2. Beat together the butter and caster sugar until pale and creamy.
3. Next, add the eggs (one at a time), mixing slowly.
4. Sift in the plain flour, then add the grated lemon zest and mix well.
5. Line a loaf tin with baking paper, then spoon in the mixture.
6. Bake for 45-50 minutes until a butter knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes clean.
7. Leave the cake in the tin until completely cool.
To make the 'cheese' icing, follow the instructions:
1. Beat butter until creamy.
2. Next add the icing sugar and a teaspoon of salt. Beat for a fluffy consistency.
3. Add in the lemon juice and food colour for the yellow colour, mix well.
4. Wrap the yellow icing around the cake so it can look like butter or cheese.
I have written another recipe for this project, it is called baked bread pudding. You can find it here.
I have also written an escape story. You can read it here.
The other young people in the Young Persons’ group were inspired to write stories and recipes too.